13 October 2010

Two Worlds

I feel like reflecting.

There's a lot floating around in my head right now, and my thoughts feel like paint splatter. But I'll go ahead with my two most recent activities of the night, Blues and the GA Media Team call.

Tonight was my fourth blues dancing class. It's gotten smaller each time since I've been, down to four tonight: Chelsea James; the instructor, Megan; Michael, a math graduate student and the lone male; and myself. I would consider us the core of the class, even before tonight. Even though there is only one guy, and even though I feel like I could be doing a better job of leading than he most the time, I really, really like blues. As far as dance goes, it's so chill. It is all about lagging. There is no rhythm, inherently. It's all whatever you and your partner are doing right then and there. And there are no specific blues moves. It's a combination of lots of other dances, but it has its own style. Whenever I've tried to explain it to people, I think it comes off very lame, something along the lines of, "Well, it's dancing to blues music, with a partner, and it's really cool...."

But it really is.

Every time Megan starts talking about "dance culture", I get kind of bashfully excited. Because I want to understand, and be a part of that, and go to competitions and meet these great people she talks about and the djs and the scene. It's terrible to be so instantly motivated. I have, what, four hours experience at this? But it is such a different world for me. My dance experience boils down to TCTTW, Charleston in AP Block, and making a fool of myself for 9th grade Woodland Cowgirls Dance Tryouts omg omg. And Pete and Michelle and I did delve pretty deeply into modern experimental dance for Einstein on the Beach (Words and Music last year). But that was still three kids who knew basically nothing about dance trying to do something edgy and bizarre and cool.

Dance is something I've always admired from a far, like rock climbing or Canada. I've never had direct experience for more than a few weeks. Now, I definitely can't say I'm not one of those people who's always wanting people to have dance parties or play better dancing music at prom. But as an art, dance is something I've only felt connected to when I'm watching Gotta Kick it Up. But blues feels so right, so within my grasp. It doesn't necessarily come easily to me; my slight tendency to be physically awkward is magnified tenfold when faced with a large mirror/physical activity/anything sexy. Blues has all of these things, and so whenever we begin class with solo blues in front of the mirror, my flexibility and fluidity go out the window. I feel like I start from square one each time. And I quickly catch up, but still. I'm fighting my un-athleticism that's haunted me since softball. Most times, this wins out. But not with blues. I have this feeling that suddenly it's going to come to me, I'm going to get it, get the pulse and the nuances and musicality that Megan is always talking about. It's already starting, on a small scale. I know it will just take time.


Then there's activism world, environmental world, Grand Aspirations and national conference calls and being accosted for vegetarianism ahhhhh. I guess what I'm feeling is this increasing sense that most people aren't as holistically connected to ideals as I am. What I mean is that I care about the environment. I think a large number, if not a majority, of my peers would agree with that statement. But the vast majority don't devote their lives to that. Which is fine. I'm not saying they should. But I do. I'm emotional, and when I get committed to someone or something, I dig in deep. So when some asshole starts picking a fight with me over how I eat, I get pretty upset, because I feel very strongly about not eating animals. It is an integral part of the person I am, because it affects me everyday and goes along with the things I care about and the activities I'm involved in. I work on gardens and Summer of Solutions and climate issues and women's empowerment because all of those things are important to me as a means of fixings the problems that I see. Vegetarianism is a part of that solution. There's no disconnect between me being involved in environmental issues and work and my dietary habits. They all stem from the same part of of who I am. There's a very good chance I'm not making sense anymore. Maybe I'm just not reacting well to the guy I met tonight who tried to argue with me about climate change, because the earth has had a much rapid change than what we're experiencing now. Except, of course, there were no people on it at that time. His response was there's nothing we can do anyway. Well, goddammit, there is something we can do about it. You can't just say "Fuck it" and doom everyone. Sorry, I can't live like that. I can't. Because I want to have kids, and I can't have kids if I'm just going to be bringing them into a world that is only going to be more poisoned and hostile and sad.

I intended this to be more about my role in GA and the national green economy scene, but that guy really got to me. And I'm frustrated because of Holly. She can't sleep with the typing. And I'm tired, too. So I guess I'll leave this at that.

3 comments:

  1. Unhappiness will always extend from the fact that you are, in fact, *not* open-minded. You don't know any answers, you believe them. You have faith mostly, and what facts you do have are temporal and unconfirmed in the infinity. That's fine, though, that's how it is with everyone. You need to understand that there is no "right", and to cling so heavily to one path of life *is* close-minded, make no mistake, to cling to some idea so intensely that other ideas founded in equal amounts of reason and thought seem illogical to you. I bring the term up (close-mindedness) repeatedly because of your last post (maybe it was two posts ago...?). Pursue what you want to, of course, but realize that the path you believe in is equal to all others -- not greater than.

    If you had no ego about it, as you pretend to and should, the fact that some douchebag gave you shit about climate change wouldn't matter. You know why? Because he's not going to change his opinion, and neither are you. The truly selfless, intelligent individual can avoid those confrontations. But, you don't. You bring your ego into it because you carry this righteousness around with you like a small, concealable revolver.

    People forget this, because everyone does it. Everyone brings their ego into every conversation, and *that* is the cancer eating us up. The truly humble individual does not get upset when their beliefs are challenged. She should understand that people feel just as strongly about things as she does, even if it's on the other side of the coin, and by antagonizing anyone else for that is furthering the divide.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ehehehehe ehehehehe I never knew you tried out for 9th grade dance. That makes me so so sow happy to know!

    p.s. Way to be. I'm serious, lady. You are a burst of inspiration (~~sunshine, actually~~!@~)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Something my sister just told me immediately reminded me of this blog post. She said that usually everyone at a liberal arts college agrees with each other on a lot of basic issues (ie local food, feminism), and at larger universities a person is forced to grow because s/he has to learn how to present her ideas to people that don't necessarily agree. and that that is an important skill that (generally) liberal arts kids don't develop (because they are in an environment where that is encouraged).

    so basically, you aren't necessarily being selfish by wanting other people to understand your perspective on these issues. i think at least, that you're experiencing the initial frustration of learning how to present to the world your beliefs as a human bean.

    <3

    ReplyDelete